things i should be doing right now instead of blogging:
* studying for not only tomorrow’s astronomy test, but also the first astronomy test that i still haven’t made up.
* working on three term papers– two for western civ and one for art history. they’re all due by november 9th. don’t ask me why that’s a magic number, b/c i don’t know. at least, unlike a lot of people, i do my best writing with a strict deadline, so i can actually put those off for a couple more days while i work on the rest of this list…
* my regular art history assignment for the week. good thing it isn’t due til tomorrow night. once i get this astronomy test behind me, i’ll have a little less burden on my shoulders.
* start the new art history assignment. but we’re getting into some really great stuff. we just finished up post-impressionism (toulouse-lautrec, van gogh, gaugin) & the late 19th century. next up is turn of the century art: early picasso, fauvism, expressionism, and matisse. (even though picasso was a big scammer! but i do like matisse.) so far, the chapter on impressionism has been my very favorite. it featured some of my favorite artsts: manet (NOT monet. i don’t care much for his stuff), degas, renoir… and i discovered another new favorite painting: nocturne in black and gold (the falling rocket) by whistler. this piece was met with great negativity in its time (which was around 1875). critics said it was “unfinished” and looked like whistler threw a pot of paint in the public’s face. i think there’s something magical about it. this picture doesn’t really do it justice, but it’s the best one i found:
wow, i got sidetracked there. see why i’m overwhelmed? aside from this growing list, i’ve got my ADD tendencies to deal with… back to the list:
* willy said i have to go to the gym three times this week if i want to keep my membership. i’ve been planning on getting my butt back into the gym for months now. i feel ick and definitely don’t look my best… heh… but that weird, rebellious streak in me won’t let me do anything anybody wants me to do. if you really want me to do something, you’ve got to tell me that i can’t do it. then i’ll do whatever it takes to make it happen. 😉
* i need to make up a menu so we can get to the grocery store. we’re running out of the bare bones basics (bread, milk…) and have needed to go to the store for a while, but we’ve scraped by. i just feel like i have too many other things to do to make the damn list!
* write my new chapters. this has to be relegated to the end of the list, though. it’s more of a treat, i suppose. i really need to get the other things done first. but it’s hard not to jump right into the things you actually *want* to do first! haha.
* get caught up on my sketches for drawing class. we’re supposed to have at least four for each class period. he doesn’t check them often at all, but by the end of the semester we have to have all the sketches done. he gives extra points for extra sketches, and for great quality. i’m just glad i don’t have an at-home assignment this week for drawing! that would just add to the list, and i might just break down, since i find my drawing assignments to be the most challenging, time-consuming, and intimidating.
* do my damn laundry!! holy cow. i’ve got at least two baskets of clean clothes to fold (my most hated chore), and then there’s the mountain of dirty laundry on my bedroom floor…
* clean the rest of my house. good grief, it’s a pig sty. except for the kitchen, because my adorable hubster cleaned it top-to-bottom on sunday. 😀 he even used *bleach* on the countertops. go ahead, ladies. you have my permission to drool and be jealous for a second. okay, that’s enough.
* to top all of this off, we have a thing to do on saturday (if you don’t know what it is, it’s b/c it’s a surprise! lol) which will take up quite a chunk of time, AND …
*NANOWRIMO STARTS ON SUNDAY!!! eek! i’ve been looking forward to this for almost a whole year! i’m fairly certain i’ve blogged about it before. but now that it’s getting down to the wire, i’m getting nervous. i’ve got so many other things going on right now! and i’m afraid the plot i choose won’t be good enough, or i won’t have enough in my head to keep going all month, enough words to add up to 50,000 (that’s what the word count of the average novel is)! i’m sure it’ll be fine, though. in all seriousness, it’s only around 1700 words a day, which is actually quite easy peasy for me, but i don’t always feel like writing every day. i’ve been lucky in the past month that i actually have felt like writing a lot. i’ve been a writing machine, and i really hope it lasts throughout november. now, if you feel like you might maybe want to support me a teeny bit and sponsor me on my quest to write the perfect novel (it feels weird to say that…saying i’m writing a “novel” feels like bragging or something…i can’t explain it)…aaanyway, if you might want to donate $10 or so to the cause, hop on over to my page and do it to it! the cause, by the way, is “the office of letters and light“, which brings programs into both schools and adult communities to teach and inspire writing. their young writers’ program is especially awesome! if this had been around when i was in high school, maybe things would have been different for me. maybe i wouldn’t have lost my writing confidence… at any rate, at least check out my page. 🙂
and without further ado, here are the ideas for plots for nanowrimo. these ideas were born of my own pretty little head, and while i can’t use all of them for nanowrimo this year, i will more than likely develop them into something sooner or later. so pretty please don’t steal them. if you feel so inclined to vote, just leave a comment here with your favorite plot. here are my ideas:
1. guy is a druggie. guy meets girl, falls in love, and decides he needs to clean himself up to be “worthy” of her. girl leaves, and guy is so devastated, he goes back to his old ways, even though he doesn’t want to. he sees her face in his mind constantly, and the only thing that can numb the pain is the drugs. this will obviously be angst-filled, and i have to be in an angsty mood to write angst. if i’m not already in that mood, writing angst will put me there. it’s a good excuse to lock myself away for 30 days. 😉 it will also require a lot of research, as i have never been one to touch illegal substances (i was always afraid of getting into trouble! hahaha), and honestly don’t know that much about drug use, etc, aside from what i’ve read or seen in movies. however, i believe that this plot will be easily developed, and a sympathetic character will be easy to form.
2. a superhero realizes that he is losing his powers. he has to adapt to “normal” life. this will obviously be a little bit angsty, but i plan to include humor in it as well. nothing slapstick, though. i hate that. this plot would be a bit more of a challenge for me to develop.
3. guy and girl break up after years of a tumultuous relationship. she leaves for another man. they meet occasionally, sometimes amicably, sometimes not. both feel like their life has no meaning without the other, but they can’t get it together. he feels like he just needs to leave town, or else he’ll just keep reliving their relationship over and over again. i haven’t decided how it would end up, but it would also be very angsty. plot is based on a song by a friend. i was listening to the song when the characters popped into my head to say hello and tell their story. i haven’t written any of it down yet, which makes it eligible for me to use for nanowrimo. 🙂
4. a fictional (based on non-fiction) memoir on being a navy wife. it would be humorous but also tell the hardships of a military spouse–finding friends, jobs, home, and then leaving them all multiple times.
5. a memoir on dating. i have some of this written in my head. it’s actually based on a specific past relationship in my life. it would be humorous with splashes of slight angst here & there.
6. a modern-day telling of cinderella. i know this has been done time & time again, but i don’t like those cheesy ones they made into movies. it would be an actual retelling of the story, only set in modern times, with relevant political and social commentary.
that’s all i’ve got for you. if there’s nothing interesting here, please let me know. my goal is to not only write a novel that satisfies me, but to write something that people will actually want to read. and not just because they know me, but because it’s just good. 🙂
okay, i’m buckling down now so i can study for tomorrow’s astronomy test and tackle the rest of this monster of a list. sigh. i’m scared. hold me?
download this: the new moon soundtrack is amazing! WORLDS better than the twilight soundtrack, which i thought was okay, but a little too…i dunno… pop-ish? preteen-y? this one is more indie, and has some of my fave bands (death cab for cutie, the killers, grizzly bear, thom yorke of radiohead, band of skulls…) just click on the link and check it out! “white demon love song” by the killers and “slow life” by grizzly bear are two of my favorites on the album. also, “possibility” by lykke li is beautiful, as well as “all i believe in” by the magic numbers, which is a bonus track i received when i downloaded the album from itunes.
today’s fave etsy item: mermaid corset print by visioluxus
this is my monster list sucking the life out of me. though i don’t have nearly as nice a bod as the chick in this photo! haha